Thursday, September 10, 2026

Digitally Recreating My Back to School Outfits From Each Year of High School

 
I don't remember a single thing I learned in algebra, but I remember what I was wearing.

Right around this time of year, after Labor Day, was when I'd return to school after summer break. I've been out of school for over a decade now and early September brings me nostalgia for back to school shopping. I hated school, but I loved back to school shopping for cute new supplies and clothes. I always sort of looked forward to the first days back because I was excited to wear my new outfits.

I somehow remember exactly what I wore for each first day of school in from freshman to senior year, 2012 to 2015. Do any other adults relate or do I just have a crazy good memory for unimportant things?

I don't have any photos of my back to school outfits other than the one I wore for senior year, so I thought it would be fun to digitally recreate them as accurately as possible with images of clothes from the internet. Some of the items you will see are the exact pieces I wore, brand and color, and for others I just had to find something that was close enough.


Freshman Year



Neon pink skinny jeans, so 2012. I had wanted colored skinny jeans since I was in 6th grade but it was so hard for me to find any that actually fit skinny on my tween self. These pink ones and the striped boxy crop top were hand-me-downs from a family friend who always made sure I had cool stuff to wear by regularly sending boxes of clothes to me. The crop top was obviously layered over a long white cami. The zebra print bag was the same bag I carried throughout 8th grade that I had gotten from Pacsun. The only thing I'd change about this outfit are the shoes. I had mostly worn skateboard shoes since 4th grade (DC, Vans, Etnies) and this was when I was getting over the style but didn't know what other kinds of shoes to wear. This was the last pair of sneakers I wore to school before getting into heeled boots a few months later.


Sophomore Year



This was when I decided I wanted to try to dress prettier, with cuter tops and blouses instead of only t-shirts all the time. I started wearing lots of skirts too, which I used to not wear at all. I ended up carrying that bag for the rest of high school. It was secondhand Coach and it was big enough to carry around my binders and anything else I might need to survive a day of school. Even back then, I was not a big fan of Coach bags, but I liked that this one was just all black leather. And the boots, I loved fringe and I still do! I also had a second pair of fringe boots in a different color that I got for Christmas that year.


Junior Year


Yes, 15 year old me was stepping onto the school bus in stilettos. The outfits in Pretty Little Liars were not unrealistic but I was basically the only girl in my school wearing heels like this regularly. Like the year before, I was still into cute peplum tops. This is the exact one I wore and it was from H&M. I would honestly wear it again now.


Senior Year



Finally, a skirt instead of jeans! This was one of my favorite outfits ever because I felt like such a Tumblr girl. I didn't have enough money for the cool Tumblr girl brands like American Apparel and Jeffrey Campbell, so I looked for similar stuff at H&M and Forever 21. I had my heart set on getting some affordable boots similar to the iconic JC Litas, and I these were on the H&M website for $40. I was unstoppable in them and I wore them to school at least 3 times a week. And paired with knee socks? You could tell by looking at me that I was listening to AM by Arctic Monkeys in my earbuds.

Pics from my Tumblr, September 8th, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment